Haya basi…..these are type of permits you can use to work in Sweden!


If you’re planning on spending more than 90 days in Sweden – for work, studying, starting a business, to family or spouse- you have to submit an application for a residence permit.

This is what you’ll eventually need to become a citizen.

Circumcision and staring contests!

Work Permit

To obtain a work permit, you must have an offer of employment in Sweden. Your employer must have advertised the job in Sweden and the EU/EEA and Switzerland for at least ten days before the offer of employment was made.

Get a job offer from an employer in Sweden that will help you get a work permit. Once you move to Sweden, you’ll need to live and work there for 4 years. You will then be eligible for permanent residency when you renew the permit. Another year after that and you can apply for citizenship.

Ambushed by a gypsy!

Your employer in Sweden initiates the work permit application by completing an offer of employment. Your employer needs information about your name, date of birth, citizenship, education and your email address.

It is important that you have access to the email address you give your employer until you have received a decision regarding your application. The Swedish Migration Agency will use this email address to communicate with you throughout the application period.

Sweetheart not so sweet!

Apply For assylum

If you want to apply for asylum in Sweden you need to go to the Migration Agency to hand in your application. It is not possible to apply for asylum before you get to Sweden.

If you meet the border police when entering Sweden you have to tell them that you want to apply for asylum. There are border police for example at the passport control point in international airports, at ferry terminals and where trains and buses enter Sweden. The border police will ask you some questions and will then refer you to the Migration Agency, where you hand in your asylum application.

I’m still a villager!

If you are already in Sweden, you should contact the Migration Agency yourself. You can apply for asylum at one of the Migration Agency’s application units in Gothenburg, Malmö or Stockholm.

Spouse Permit

If you are a citizen of a non-EU country and want to move to a family member in Sweden, you require a residence permit. You can be granted a residence permit if you are married to, have entered into a partnership with, or are the cohabiting partner of someone in Sweden. The family member in Sweden must be a Swedish citizen, have a permanent residence permit, permanent right of residence or a permanent residence card. The person you are going to live with in Sweden must be able to support both of you. He or she must also have a home of sufficient size and standard for you both to live in when you move to Sweden.

How to be a Swede!

Family Re-union permit

If you are a close relative of someone applying for a residence permit to live with you in Sweden

A person who is a citizen of a country outside the EU or EEA, and who wants to move to Sweden to live with a family member, must apply for a residence permit. The permit must be granted before the move to Sweden.Your husband, wife, cohabiting partner, registered partner and your children under the age of 18 can be granted a residence permit in Sweden if:

Mistakes we make as immigrants

  1. You are a Swedish citizen, have a permanent residence permit or a temporary residence permit with refugee status.
  2. You can support yourself and your family members who are applying for residence permits
  3. You have a home of sufficient size and standard for all of you to live in
  4. You and your partner are at least 18 years old.

Student Permit!

If you are to support yourself with your own funds, you must submit your application no earlier than three months before the date you are applying for a residence permit from. This is because you will be able to show that you can support yourself close to the beginning of the study time and that your actions will not get too old. This does not apply if you will receive a scholarship to cover your means of support.

I want the world to know…..

You can apply for a residence permit online. In most cases you will need to pay a fee.

To be eligible for a residence permit, you must have been admitted to full-time studies on a programme or course that requires you to be present at the university or university college.

Human contact for what?

Prepare your documentation

Make sure to bring all official documentation for you and your family with you when travelling to Sweden, including identity documents, any residence permit cards and any official documents from the Swedish Migration Agency.

And when you get to Sweden……..

Register with the Swedish authorities Your ticket to most aspects of life in Sweden is the personal identity number you’ll receive from the Swedish Tax Agency after arriving and registering. Also register with the Swedish Social Insurance Agency to have access to various benefits.

Why I don’t tell the African story

Learn some Swedish A basic understanding of Swedish will make it easier for you to find your place in Swedish society. Once you have a Swedish personal identity number, you can sign up for free Swedish courses arranged by the government programme Swedish for immigrants (SFI).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *