Guys, I normally don’t complain a lot about the prejudices but sometimes I just feel like people push it. By people, I mean total strangers who hardly know anything about me but already have a formed opinion about me. Mostly because of your home country background,accent and skin colour.
So what drives me nuts?
- That I’m illegally in Sweden. I actually enjoy this one a lot. Sometimes, depending on my mood, I tell people that I traveled through Libya as a slave and swam to Italy then walked all the way to Sweden.
- That there was war in my country. The number of times I have been hugged and told that things will be fine. Still, I play along. It’s pure comedy. No one pays me to educate condescending bastards so I let it be!
- That I work at a factory. Of course, I cannot be smart enough to work elsewhere. It has to be a factory or toilet.
- My family is rich. Just because I speak English. People are totally nuts out here. You have to be rich in Africa for you to speak proper English. You simply can’t make this shit up!
- That we don’t have roads in Africa. This is personal. I will stab someone!
- Can your family afford flight tickets. Yes, this is a question that pops up every once in a while.
- That I have a ‘story’. Everyone has a story but I don’t have anything dramatic to offer. I did not grow up in the bush eating maize and wild fruits. I’m sorry!
- That I can run. Yes, I grew up in Kenya. Next!
- That my parents are against interracial relationships. Ask me one more time, nincompoop!
- That I have many siblings and my dad is a polygamist. I have one sister. I cannot speak for my dad but as far as I know, he has one wife. My mum. I was brought up by humans, not rats and rabbits!