Guys, I don’t travel a lot but when I tend to overdose on all sorts of unhealthy kosokoso I have been avoiding on a normal day.
So for the sake of frequent and not frequent travellers, I compiled a list of what to eat and skip while on a plane.
- Avoid main courses that are drowned in sauce. These are often loaded with butter or sugar.
- Pick a dish that has good amounts of lean protein and vegetables. Fish and chicken breast are the best choices.
- Watch out for white bread, white rice, and pasta. These could leave you feeling bloated afterward.
- Pack nuts and fruit in your hand luggage and munch on them during the flight instead of desserts or snacks.
- Find healthy alternatives to refined sugar like fruits that you can buy within the airport.
- Don’t forget to drink lots of water to keep hydrated before, during, and after your flight. And especially after drowning yourself in those awful tasting tiny bottles of wine.
- Don’t forget that a relaxing drink in the air may be one you later regret. The cabin’s dehydrating environment combined with the effects of coffee, tea, and alcohol can leave you even more dehydrated.
- Consider packing your own healthy meals (without liquids and pastes, of course) to monitor the kind of nutrients you’re consuming.
- If you can, eat and sleep at the times you would at your destination. This will help you stave off jet lag.
- Walk around and stretch during long flights. This kickstarts your energy and rids yourself of the groggy feeling at high altitudes.